Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Now What? Be Fierce, Be Kind, Be Positive

Last night, frightened and anxiously seeking security, I wrapped myself in my fuzzy blanket, snuggled up to my husband,  and struggled through a night of fitful sleep. 

This morning, I woke in the quiet of a new day, perhaps a new moment in history. As I so often do, I snapped a photo of the sunrise. The buildings, the sky, the air, it all looked blue as dawn broke somewhere in the distant grey horizon. 

But there was a little light, just some streaks of pink and peach, peeking from the underside of the clouds. 

Not exactly a silver lining, but I'll take it. 

As much as I'd like to stay wrapped in my blanket weeping for an uncertain tomorrow,  I have dried my tears. I will not concede to the dark madness. This is a new day; there is too much work to be done. 

Rather than curl up and hide, I'm reaching out. 

I'm taking hold of that glimpse of light, and pulling it in to warm my heart, casting out the shadows of fear. Like an ember in a cooling fire, I will nurture it, breathe new life into it, fuel the growing flame. 

While I feel sad today, I am renewing my promise to Be Fierce. I intend to be audacious, to be bold, to raise my voice. I understand now I cannot be too timid to join the chorus of others - our voices are louder and stronger together. 

While I feel the heavy, ugly pull of hatred and judgement in the world, I will not get mired in that swamp. I will never cease to Be Kind. I know in my heart the path forward must be paved with understanding, empathy, and compassion - most especially for those with whom we disagree. 

So while I may be afraid or angry, I am not going to turn to the Dark Side; I am going to continue to Be Positive. There is so much love in the world, and where there is love there is hope. Love and hope will trump hate. 

Yes, I have turned my focus to that glimmer of light I caught this morning. More - I'm going to grab hold of it, and weave those peaches and pinks into my wardrobe, and I'm going to shine.  

If you find yourself in the dark today, feeling cold and alone, I encourage you to seek out the light. Be warmed. Be renewed. 

Then take your light to the world. Shine as brightly as you can. Share your love, feed your hope, join the chorus. 

Be Fierce. Be Kind. Be Positive. 


"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban -

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing your light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that every day brings a little more need to be kind, helpful, live close to the land and need less from the world, to be sincere and find comfort. I'm sad at some of the world's situations but Three E'd by others - empowered, encouraged and excited. Good things are out there. I've turned off the new and make a point of finding things that support the E's.

    ReplyDelete